Most of us are health cautions and do regular physical activity to keep ourselves fit and healthy. Some even go on with healthy diet with or without physical activity. We too are no exception to this.. We do both of it.. physical activity and healthy eating…
We have cut down eating out. Also, I often cook zero oil curry for chapatti and rice to keep a check on the fat intake.
Here I would like to share a Zero Oil or should I say Zero Fat Chicken Curry which is simple, easy and tastes nothing less than the normal chicken curry.
Zero fat because I have even discarded the chicken fat before making this curry.
My hubby wanted to eat chicken as a protein yet avoid the fat that comes along. One of his colleagues who was on a diet had cooked chicken without spices in lots of water and after discarding the water, used this cooked chicken and turned it into a yummy healthy chicken salad. She had shredded the chicken and added salt, pepper to taste and a little butter for the gloss. He loved it and I cook this as well for him.
Following this method, I marinated the chicken with a basic marinade and cooked it separately before adding the cooked chicken into the gravy, hence making it fat free too.
Here goes the recipe ..
– Wash chicken pieces 3-4 times. Discard water.
– In a bowl add Red Chili Powder, Coriander Powder and Turmeric Powder along with salt. Add the washed chicken and lime juice. Mix well and leave in fridge to marinate minimum 1 hour. Best marinate overnight.
– Remove the chicken 1/2 hour before usage if marinated overnight, else use immediately.
– Boil 1/2 cup water in a pressure cooker. Add the marinated chicken and cook for 2 whistles.
– In the mean while, make a smooth paste of onions, ginger, garlic, green chili and tomato.
– Heat a deep heavy bottomed vessel in medium low flame. Add the onion tomato paste and cook till the light pink gravy turn dark and the raw smell of the ingredients goes off.
– Add in the chicken masala powder and mix. Also add in the soya sauce and salt to taste. Mix well.
– Add in 1/2 cup of water and the cooked chicken pieces (without fat) and cook for another 5 minutes on low flame.
– Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with Indian Flat breads like phulka, roti, wheat paratha, chapatti.