A very Happy Pongal to all.
Of late Oats has gained a lot of popularity mainly for its health benefits and also due to its convenient and easy cook process. It contains lots of fiber and other nutrients helpful in lower cholesterol, reduce high blood pressure and also reduces the risk of certain type of cancers. It is a very good source of protein, vitamins, minerals,iron, complex carbohydrates and antioxidants.
Ven Pongal from Oats is a easy, simple, wholesome yet full of flavor dish to make. This Oats Pongal is made very similar to the traditional Rice Ven Pongal, except that the cooking time is reduced. Surprisingly, making it with oats, changes nothing with respect to the taste of the Pongal and remained to be creamy and full of flavors from the ghee, ginger, Cumin and black pepper.
– Soak moong dal (split green gram dal) in hot water for minimum 10 minutes.
– Heat ghee in the pressure cooker and fry the cashews and remove them as soon as they change color. Add Oats to the ghee and fry for 2 minutes on low flame. ( Many times I dry roast the Oats and add ghee at the end and also don’t use cashews).
– Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix.
– Add 2 cups of water and close the lid. Cook for 1 whistle in high flame and simmer for 2 minutes to allow dal to cook properly.
– Garnish with cashew nuts and serve hot with coconut chutney.
– This pongal should be eaten hot.
– You can alternatively use cooked Moong dal. This will save time in the end process where you wait only for the oats to cook.