Dal makhani is one of the most popular Indian dishes. This spicy lentil preparation is made a mix of rajma or red kidney beans and whole black gram or sabut urad dal and a perfect blend of whole spices.
This is a simple variation of Dal Makhni. I have named it Dal Chakni because the ingredient used here is White Channa rather than the usual Rajma.
I usually don’t buy both White Channa and Rajma in my monthly grocery. This time aground I had White Channa and decided to substitute Rajma with it. Also, I have made it a healthier version by cutting the amount of butter. I usually add only half the quantity of butter to the recipe and that too once the whole cooking process is completed. The outcome is the same..yummy and delicious.
– Wash and soak whole black gram or urad dal and white Channa dal overnight in enough water so that water stands 1.5 inch above the grams.
– In a pressure cooker add 3 cups of water and add the whole black gram (urad dal) and channa, 1/2 the quantity of red chilli powder and cook for 2 whistle in high and 1 in simmer. The Channa Dal needs to be soft. I smash the channa, leave it if not desired.
– Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. When they begin to change colour, add ginger, garlic and onion and sauté till golden.
– Add slit green chillies, tomatoes and sauté on high heat. Add the remaining red chilli powder and sauté till the tomatoes are reduced to a pulp.
– Add the cooked dal and channa along with the cooking liquid. Add some water if the mixture is too thick. Add garam masala powder and adjust salt.
– Simmer on low heat till the dals are totally soft and well blended.
– Garnish with coriander leaves and add butter. Stir and serve hot with phulka, roti, chapatti or wheat paratha. It tastes great with Jeera rice and simple plain rice too.