Every part of the Plantain or Banana is packed with nutrition and health benefits. Eating off the banana leaf has great digestive properties. The fruit as we all know is a great source of potassium and vitamins, even the flower is good for diabetes and anti-ageing. Plantain/ Banana stem is a very rich in fibre. Fiber is an integral part of a healthy diet and has many health benefits… the stem helps in weight loss as its fibrous, helps in managing cholesterol and blood pressure even consuming its juice acts as a great Detoxification and digestion, treating kidney stones and gastric problems.
Include plantain stem/Banana stem in your diet at least once in a week regularly. I have been eating this since childhood often and love it for its benefits. My son too loves it, so can make it any time. Recently my MIL bought me fresh plantain stem from her home. The taste of the recipe made using the fresh one is way too different from the store bought one which are atleast few days old. Try this simple plantain stem stir fry recipe…
– Remove the outer covering of the stem and cut it into rounds removing the thread like fibre with your fingers.
– Then chop it into small thin pieces. Keep it in water to prevent discoloration till you use it for cooking. (Some people even keep in diluted buttermilk)
– In a small pressure cooker, add 4-5 tbsp water, turmeric and little salt. Bring to boil. Add the chopped plantain stem and cook for 1 whistle. Allow steam to escape on its own. Strain and keep aside.
Alternatively, you can add to the seasoning and cook in open pan by adding few tablespoons of water to avoid burning.
– Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds, allow it to splutter, then add in onions, green chillies and curry leaves. Stir till onions are translucent.
– Add in the cooked plantain stem and coconut and mix well and switch off the flame. Garnish with coriander.
– Serve with rice as an accompaniment.