This gravy or curry for rice is a regular at my mom’s house during the rainy or winter season. She made this from green gram, black channa dal, dried cowpea among other grams. Although most in my family were not a grams or pulses loving, including my mom, she made it as to help keep our body warm. Weather in Bengaluru is quite cold, be in rainy or winter seasons.
Here, in Kerala its usually hot through out the year, although it gets a bit cold due during rainy season due to continuous rain and rich green vegetation surrounding us.
I used to make this a few years back and suddenly remembered that I no longer made this. I had even forgotten the recipe.. called my mom and got it.. Now I have started making it quite often during the rainy days. My son didn’t like this curry initially as he is not that fond of green gram although he loves the other grams, but now he too loves this..My hubby loved it from the initial preparation.
This is simple but elegant. Here goes the recipe…
– Heat a pan, aimmer and add the green gram. Fry for 15 minutes till color changes.
– If its burned wash it throughly so as the dark color goes.
– Boil 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker. Add in the fried green gram and cook for 2-3 whistle on high and 1 whistle on low flame or till cooked nicely.
Note: Since we have fried it, the shape will be intact, but cooked inside.
– Meanwhile, in the pan add 1/2 tsp oil and fry 1/2 the onion chopped into slices along with 2 springs curry leaves, 3 springs coriander, stems of other 2 springs of coriander and coconut till golden brown.
– Cool and grind the onion coconut mixture along with 3 Tbsp of cooked green gram to a smooth paste using tamarind water. Keep aside.
– Heat a heavy bottomed pan and add mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add oil and finely chopped onions, garlic and curry leaves. Sauťe till onions are translucent.
– Add in the ground paste along with 1.5 cup water. Bring it to boil. Add the remaining cooked green gram and boil in simmer for 10 minutes. Add water to dilute the consistency of the gravy as per your taste.
– Add in coriander leaves, stir and serve with hot rice and accompaniments.