This is a different variety of the healthy instant dosa variety made from wheat flour. At my mom’s place we love to have it when hot. Unlike the other traditional south indian dosa recipes, this wheat dosa does not require fermentation.
This recipe of wheat dosa is very similar to the popular rava dosa recipe which has the same texture and crisp level. We use maida or all purpose flour as the base in rava dosa and here its the in wheat flour. Both the recipes are ideal for those days where we are either lazy or tired.
There are many varieties to prepare Wheat dosa, do check our special dosa recipe for one other variety. My mom makes the authentic wheat dosa which is typically prepared with only wheat flour and is not adulterated with other flours, which also is an instant variety. My MIL makes another instant variety by adding ground urad dal paste.
When wheat dosa recipe is prepared by adding rice flour and rava / semolina, the outcome is crisp and roasted. The rice flour and rava gives the crisp texture to dosa. Wheat dosa tastes great when served hot with coconut chutney or peanut chutney and doesn’t require any accompaniments.
– In a large mixing bowl take mix in the wheat flour, rice flour, rava and salt.
– Now add in curd and 1 cup water and whisk well making a lump free batter.
– Now add in the onion, ginger, green chilli, coriander, curry leaves and cumin seeds.
– Add another ½ cup water or as required and prepare a flowing buttermilk consistency batter, else the dosa will not be crisp.
– Rest the batter for 20 minutes.
– Check for consistency and add more water if required.
– Heat a tawa. Carefully pour the dosa batter over hot tawa.
– Sprinkle ½ or 1 tsp of oil from the top.
– Allow the base to turn crispy golden brown, on medium heat.
– Serve hot with coconut chutney.