Ladies finger or Orka (bhindi) is a staple in Indian cuisine and a much loved vegetable in our home.
My mom in law makes yummy Bhindi Masala. Some time back when she was at our place she made it any my son loved it.. He asks me to buy Okra and make the same, which he eats without fussing.
Many of us have issues while cooking bhindi because of the slimy texture it gives off on sauteeing. Here are some tricks.. The key is to choose tender green okra and when you snap the pointed end, it should break off effortlessly. Also, ensure that you wash the okra and pat dry with no trace of moisture before your chop them. Roasting on low flame with a tablespoon of oil is good enough and it brings out the flavor as well as reduces the slime. Adding a tsp of lemon juice or yogurt also helps reduce slime.
Here goes the recipe of this simple, yummy and quick dish to make on any day..
– In a wok heat up the oil till it smokes. To this hot oil add the okra and fry till crisp.
– This will take about 5 minutes. Take out the fried okra and keep aside.
– In the remaining oil add the cumin seeds and sauté for a minute.
– Add the chopped onions and fry till soft and translucent. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for another minute.
– Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, dried fenugreek powder, dried mango powder, garam masala and salt. Mix and add a little water.
– Fry till the water is evaporated and only the spice mixture remains.
– Next add the chopped tomatoes and mix well. Cook covered for 3 minutes stirring occasionally.
– To this ad the fried okra and mix well. Add a little water for gravy consistency if desired.
– Serve hot with Roti or Phulkas.