Most of us are health freaks and always strive to eat as healthy as possible. Maintaining our health is one of the top priorities in our lives now. We are always making the tried and tested recipes viz Aaloo palak or Palak Paneer and such kinds when ever we buy palak/spinach. We have posted a few yummy and healthy Spinach dishes like Spinach Roti, Spinach Poori, Spinach Cutlets, Dal with Spinach in our blog before. This time around, thought of making a rice variety, which serves as a one pot dish, which is a bachelor’s recipe as well.
My son loves biryani and like most children a fussy eater when it comes to veggies. We used to call most of the different rice varieties I make by its color and add the Word Biryani…and this was the Green Biryani and had been giving him this healthy dish without him knowing that it has Spinach. Now that he has grown big and is there with me mostly when I cook, he understands what goes into his favorite colored biryani.
Spinach is a abundant in Iron and moderately has calcium too. There are many varieties of Spinach around the world. In this recipe, I have used the common variety available in India.
Here goes the recipe to this very simple, healthy and delicious one pot dish.
– Clean and wash rice and soak for 1/2 hour. Drain and keep aside
– Clean and rinse the spinach very well and chop them roughly. Use the stem as well.
– In a blender, blend the spinach, ginger, garlic and green chillies using water to a smooth paste.Keep aside.
– Keep 3 cups of water to boil.
– Heat Oil in a pressure cooker, add the bay leaf and stir.
– Now add in the onions and sauté till translucent. Add the Spinach puree and sauté for 5-7 minutes on low flame till the raw smell goes.
– Now add in the drained rice, salt and mix well.
– Add the boiling water to the rice and stir. Bring to boil and cover with lid.
– Switch off gas after 1 whistle.
– Allow pressure to release and then gently fluff the rice.
– Serve hot Spinach Rice / Palak Pulao with Raitha of your choice.
You can add in any veggies too. I will post that recipe soon.