Whole Urad Dal or Black gram is being cultivated in India since ancient times. Its the mostly highly prized pulse in both India and Pakistan. It is called by different names viz Ulunthu in Tamil, Minumulu in Telugu, Uddinabēḷe in Kannada, Urad Dal in Hindi.
Urad Dal is used in both the whole and split forms through out India. In the north, they use the gram usually De-husked to make Dal. In south India, its one of the key ingredients in making many dishes like Idly, Dosa, Appalam(Papad) and of-course the very popular Urad Dal Vada.
Black Gram has high levels of protein, potassium, calcium, iron among others.
Vada is very poplar down south as it Pakoda in the north. There are many varieties of vada’s made by different ingredients. One of the most popular south Indian dish which people love to eat for breakfast along with Idly and Samabar, evening tea or as a snack is Urad Dal Vada.
In my mom’s place she used a long spoon to drop the batter into the oil, as we were not very particular about the shape of the vada, but just the taste. Yes, many of us do give the taste and texture the same importance. It is easy to make and yummy to eat.
Here goes the recipe.
This recipe requires soaking time of 2 hours.
– Clean, wash and soak the urad dal in enough water for atleast 2 hours.
– Drain the urad dal and add to mixer blend to a smooth batter, adding as little water as possible.(See Note)
– In a bowl add the batter along with the rest of the ingredients except oil and mix well.
– Heat oil in a deep fry pan on medium heat.
– Wet your hands, pinch a small portion and flatten a bit on your palm. Make a small hole in the center and slowly drop the vada into the hot oil. (See Note)
– Cook till golden brown on both sides on medium heat. Repeat process for the rest of the batter.
– Drain and serve with Chutney or Sambar or Ketchup.
– If the batter is not smooth, the vada will be hard after cooking
– You can use a piece of banana leave or beetle leave instead of your palm to flatten the vada
– Always make sure you drop the vada away from your self to avoid any accidents
– Rice flour adds crispiness to the vada