Jack-fruit is native to parts of South and Southeast Asia, and is believed to have originated in the southwestern rain forests of India, in present-day Goa, Kerala, coastal Karnataka, and Maharashtra.
The jack-fruit tree is a widely cultivated and popular food item in tropical regions of India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines. Its also found across Africa as well as throughout Brazil, west-central Mexico, and in Caribbean nations. Jack fruit is the national fruit of Bangladesh.
Tender jack-fruit is a seasonal product. It is used to make a side dish or a gravy for rice or chappati.
I have been eating the dishes made from Tender jack-fruit since my younger days. After moving to Kerala, I have got the opportunity to know the different recipes we can make using Jack Fruits from chips to stir fry to even using the seeds to this fruit in curries.
Today i am posting a healthy stir fry recipe which is very simple and yet delicious.
– Remove the thick outer skin of the tender jack and cut into small pieces. (if you are cutting it into big chunks then you will need to use a masher to shred to get smaller pieces.
– Add 1 Cup water, chopped tender jack-fruit pieces, salt and chili powder and cook for 1 whistle. Allow pressure to release on own.
– Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds, once they splutter add chopped Onions and curry leaves. Stir till onions are translucent. Add in the chili paste and mix well.
– Now add the cooked jack fruit and mix well for few minutes in medium flame.
– Check salt and add if required.
– Mix in the grated coconut and serve hot with Rice as an accompaniment.