Sundal is a traditional Tamil Nadu dish prepared for naivedyam (Prasadam) during pooja’s or temples for distribution. Sundal is a dry legume or lentil preparation tempered with coconut. Sundal can be made with black chickpeas, green peas, Rajma, Black channa, black eyed peas, Moong beans, Bengal grams, peanuts and so on.
Its very tasty and very nutritious and can make a great snack for weight watchers.
I always thought peanut Sundal was made only from fresh peanuts, however, my mom told me that that Peanut Sundal Tastes good even when tried with the raw packed peanuts available at the stores.
As a part of my diet plan, I made this at home and now its a regular in my platter as a evening snack or a Salad for dinner.
Peanuts are a type of nuts, originating in South America.
Peanuts go by a variety of names, such as groundnuts, earth nuts, and goobers. Other products made from peanuts include peanut oil, peanut flour, and peanut protein. Peanut products are used in a variety of foods; desserts, cakes, confectionery, snacks, and sauces.
Not only do peanuts taste good, they are also rich in protein, fat, and various healthy nutrients.Studies show that peanuts may be useful for Weight loss. Peanuts are high in fat, low in carbohydrates, excellent source of various vitamins and minerals, rich in antioxidants. A source of many heart-healthy nutrients, peanuts may help prevent heart disease.
Although Peanuts have so many health benefits, it is one of the 8 most common food allergens and should be avoided by people allergic to it, as it can be life threatening.
Peanuts are very healthy, they are simple and delicious too that can be given to your kids as evening snack or even for their break-time.I love eating them boiled or fried..
Here goes the recipe.
– Wash and soak peanuts in lots of water overnight.
– Drain the water and add it to pressure cooker. Cover with fresh water, add 1/2 the amount of salt.
– Pressure cook it for 1 whistle. Then simmer for another whistle. Switch off flame.
– Allow pressure to release by itself.
– Drain and keep aside.
– Heat oil in a kadai. Add in mustard seeds and allow spluttering. Then add in Green chilies, Asafoetida and Curry leaves and mix.
– Now add in cooked drained peanuts and mix well.
– Add in salt and toss well.
– Add grated coconut if using and mix well.
– Black pepper powder can be used instead of Green Chillies.