Being from a pure veggie family, making non-veg dishes is not easy…however, over the years I have learnt many ..mainly from my MIL. I have always wanted to make a Gowda Style Chicken Curry / Koli Saaru, which i have heard of from my friends.
This recipe is a reproduce from kannadacuisine.com without making any changes and I want to thank her for giving me a nice tasty and awesome curry to cook for my family and friends.
Here is the recipe..I have made it using the farm chicken, I know it will taste even more awesome with the Naati koli or home breed Chicken.
– Heat a pan. Toast the poppy seeds in the pan till fragrant. Remove from heat and crush coarsely. Set it aside.
– In the same hot pan, roast sliced onion till golden in colour.
– Combine the toasted onion, poppy seeds and all the other ingredients for the masala paste and grind till smooth.
– Heat oil in a pressure cooker. (I used the pressure cooker instead of a thick bottom pot.)
– Drop the chicken cubes and brown the cubes on all sides.
– Pour over the masala paste and enough water to cover the chicken very well.
– Cover and cook for 1 whistle on medium heat till the chicken is cooked through and the masala is well cooked.
– Garnish with fresh coriander on top of the curry if desired.
– If cooking in a heavy bottom pan, cover and cook in simmer till chicken is soft, about 30 minutes.