I have been eating this tomato gojju since i remember. This version was passed on to my mom by her by some of her relatives who moved to Salem, Tamil Nadu when she was young.
My mom has been making this since I can remember and I love this with both Idly/dosa. I have never made this in all these years.. Yesterday, when I made Idly for breakfast, thought of making this with it. My son while eating his only Idly for breakfast said initially that he would like it with Dosa rather than Idly..however, at the end he asked me to save this for his dinner and he would eat Idly and this gojju. And yes he ate more than he usually does…was he hungry or was it the taste…I think it was both Even my hubby although having for the first time, liked it a lot. Thank god, got another easy recipe to cook after a tyring day at office…
Here goes this easy recipe.
– Make Puree of the tomatoes.
– Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, allow spluttering.
– Add in the garlic and curry leaves.
– Once the garlic changes colour, add the tomato puree.
– Add in the turmeric powder, Sambar powder, red chili powder and salt.
– Lower heat to medium and cook till the raw smell of the tomato goes.
– Serve hot with Idly, Dosa or even rice.